About the ISO/TS (Technical Specification) 16949:2009The ISO/TS 16949 was jointly developed by the IATF members and submitted to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for approval and publication. The document is a common automotive quality system requirements catalog based on ISO 9001:2008, and specific requirements from the automotive sector. This document, coupled with customer-specific requirements defines quality system requirements for use in the automotive supply chain.
The IATF has developed a common registration scheme for supplier 3rd party registration to the ISO/TS 16949. The registration scheme includes third party auditor qualifications and common rules for consistent global registration. Some of the benefits of the IATF registration scheme include:
- improved product and process quality
- additional confidence for global sourcing
- reassignment of supplier resources to quality improvement
- common quality system approach in the supply chain for supplier/subcontractor development and consistency
- reduction in multiple 3rd party registrations